Friday, October 20, 2006

So I was in the hospital a few weeks ago for surgery...

They asked me all sorts of intrusive questions. Name, age, gender, favorite color, bank password, mother's maiden name... you name it, they asked it. But they did get a bit more personal after they'd admitted me (which means that they finally had enough information to admit I existed and, most importantly, could pay them). The health questions I could understand. But then...

"Do you live alone?" No.
"Who[m] do you live with?" Parents.
"Is that your dad?" Yes.
"Are you religious?" well, not the way you mean it, but... Yes.
"Would you care to put down your religious affiliation?" Christian.
"Do you or have you suffered from depression?" ironically, I wouldn't have answered this way (due to ignorance) a few years ago, when it was actually a Problem, but... Yes.
"Where do you get your emotional support?" ...mostly from God... Family. (Dad's addendum: And friends.)
"Do you feel safe at home?" ...say what???... oh yeah; the rest of the world has problems... Yes.
"Is there any chance you might be pregnant?" ...a resounding... NO.
"Do you smoke?" No.
"Drink?" No.
"Any other drugs?" No. ...people admit that kind of thing now?...

At this point, the nurse looked up at me and smiled sympathetically. "If your answers to any of these questions change later, just let me know."

Excuse me??? Now society expects that I not only do these things, but lie about them with a straight face, in a semi-legal setting, in front of my parents??? Argh. Perhaps it is how most of society functions, but I find it a bit ridiculous. I think what most disturbs me is that they simply take it as a matter of course that I could be lying.

Well, I wasn't, and I ain't gonna; but apparently bureaucracy no longer believes that.

1 comment:

Sarah Louise said...

yes. We have been trained to ask questions such as these in order to get a grasp on the person's emotional, spiritual, socioeconomic, and mental state of health as well as physical. Why? Because they enable healthcare workers to help spot potential problems and understand what is truly behind the illness. And yes, we expect people to lie, especially in front of their parents. Nurses have to be mind readers in order to protect the patient.