Thursday, October 11, 2007

Happy Mid-October

I seem to be cooking. More accurately, I seem to have cooked and am now waiting for it to cool enough to find out if the results are any good or not. The whole scenario may not seem odd to my more culinarily inclined friends. However...I am about as home in the kitchen as a rowboat in the garage. You can stick it there and it might fit okay, but it will look a little odd and not be good for much but conversation. So anyway, my motive this time was that I was not hungry.

I wasn't. But I was prowling the kitchen and it occurred to me that food was probably a good idea. It tends to make studying easier (which I have yet to begin, btw—this is obviously more important). Nothing sounded good, or looked like it might sound good upon further conjecture, so I arbitrarily went with soup. None of that looked remotely like something I'd enjoy in my present frame of mind, so I thought I might as well pick a kind that nobody in the family would really enjoy either and get it out of the way. Cream of Celery...sounded nicely unappetizing. So far so good.

Then I noticed the label on the back. A recipe for chicken and biscuits or something. I read it more out of boredom than anything, but it started sounding interesting. At least it was something to do that didn't involve studying. We had all the ingredients, so it was downhill from there. Well actually, we didn't have all the ingredients. But we had what seemed to me to be okay substitutes. [N.B. These things are so much easier when you haven't the faintest idea if they really work or not but you don't care that much to begin with.] In other words, it was really downhill.

Anyway, the next thing I knew I was steaming frozen vegetables, cooking canned chicken (do people do that?), and climbing to the ether regions (as opposed to the nether regions) of the kitchen to reach a casserole dish that is accustomed to hibernating undisturbed. Shortly thereafter, something was cooking in the oven and I had this vague suspicion I'd had something to do with that. Not too long after that I found myself sitting here writing this nonsense and eating something that bordered on not too bad.

Thus endeth my tail. *Meow!*

No comments: